Can you smell the autumn in the air? Yeah, me neither, but at least we’ve had some cleaning rain this week and actually been able to justify wearing a jacket again, which makes this the perfect weather for an indie movie weekend. (Title links lead to official sites for more information.)
- ‘Chinese Zodiac.’ Jackie Chan in what he says will be his final action movie, an adventure sequel in his ‘Armour of God’ series. Not previewed. (AMC Valley View, Stonebriar, Grapevine Mills)
- ‘All the Boys Love Mandy Lane.’ Amber Heard in a horror thriller. Delayed from 2007, it’s the first film from director Jonathan Levine, who went on to direct ‘The Wackness,’ ’50/50,’ and ‘Warm Bodies.’ Not previewed. (Angelika Dallas, Angelika Plano)
- ‘Beyond the Farthest Star.’ A minister must decide between television stardom and his family. With Barry Corbin as a small-town Texas sheriff. Not previewed. (Cinemark West Plano, Harkins Southlake)
- ‘The Stream.’ A family comedy benefiting the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. With Mario Lopez and Kelly Rutherford; narrated by Rainn Wilson. Not previewed. (UA Grand Prairie)
Opening in wide release across the Metroplex:
- ‘Carrie.’ Indie director Kimberly Peirce gives Stephen King’s characters a different spin around the horror clock. With Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore. Reviewed here. Recommended.
- ‘Escape Plan.’ Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger team up to break out of a secret prison, said to be impregnable. With Jim Cavaziel; directed by Mikael Hafstrom. Reviewed here. Not recommended.
- ‘The Fifth Estate.’ Benedict Cumberbatch stars as political activist and Wikileaks founder Julian Assange. With Daniel Bruhl; directed by Bill Condon. Not previewed.
- ‘I’m in Love With a Church Girl.’ A former drug dealer is “torn between a life that he knows and a love that he feels.” With Jeff “Ja Rules” Atkins and Adrienne Bailon. Not previewed.
- ‘Seasons of Gray.’ A spiritually-themed drama. Not previewed.
- ‘The Snitch Cartel.’ Crime drama, based on true events, about a man involved with Colombian cartel. With Manola Cardona and Tom Sizemore. Not previewed.
Leave a Reply