Two indies are getting wide release starting today — see below — plus at least four others will be in limited release! Love the variety of choices on tap:
- ‘The Spectacular Now.’ A rare coming-of-age film that dares to tell the truth. With Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley; directed by James Ponsoldt. Reviewed here; recommended. (Angelika Dallas, Angelika Plano)
- ‘Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp.’ A documentary about a Chicago man who “reinvented himself from pimp to author of seven groundbreaking books.” Not previewed. (The Texas Theatre)
- ‘A Hijacking.’ The crew of a Danish cargo ship is taken hostage by Somalian pirates. Directed by Tobias Lindholm. Advance reviews have been quite positive. Not previewed. (Angelika Dallas)
- ‘Prince Avalanche.’ Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch star in a new film by David Gordon Green. Advance reviews indicate that it hearkens back to Green’s earlier, higher quality work, though not quite at that level. Not previewed. (The Texas Theatre)
Opening in wide release:
- ‘The Butler.’ Forrest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey star. Reviewed here; recommended.
- ‘Jobs.’ Ashton Kutcher stars as legendary computer visionary Steve Jobs. Reviewed here; not recommended.
- ‘Kick-Ass 2.’ A sequel that fails miserably. Reviewed here; not recommended.
- ‘Paranoia.’ Liam Hemsworth, Harrison Ford, and Gary Oldman star in a thriller about corporate espionage. Not previewed.