Three indies are opening locally today, June 22:
- ‘Your Sister’s Sister.’ Emily Blunt and Rosemarie DeWitt play sisters who reunite at a remote cabin in the company of recovering friend Mark Duplass. Advance reviews have been mixed to positive. (Landmark Magnolia.) Not previewed.
- ‘The Woman in the Fifth.’ An American novelist (Ethan Hawke) hopes to rekindle a romance in Paris; when that doesn’t work out, he takes a questionable job and meets a mysterious woman (Kirstin Scott-Thomas). Advance reviews have been mixed. (Angelika Dallas.) Not previewed.
- ‘Bill W.’ A documentary about the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. (Texas Theatre.) Not previewed.
- ‘Seeking a Friend for the End of the World.’ With only a scant few days remaining before an asteroid destroys Earth, neighbors Steve Carell and Keira Knightley take a road trip to resolve past regrets. My review. Recommended.
- ‘Brave.’ The new Pixar films is a dark fairy tale revolving around a 10th-century Scottish princess and her battles with her mother. My review. Recommended.
- ‘Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.’ The 16th President of the United States gets a violent historical makeover from the director of ‘Wanted.’ Advance reviews have been mixed to negative. Not previewed.