Ah, what to see, what to see, the eternal weekend question for moviegoers! Here are my picks, along with my new letter grading for the films I’ve seen:
Newly available in limited release (listed alphabetically):
- Beyond the Black Rainbow. A head trip, and a science-fictional period tale, as a woman in the 1980s is treated at a very special institute. Wonderfully phantasmagorical. My roundup of reviews at Twitch. [B+]
- HIGH School. Stoner comedy, featuring Adrien Brody and Michael Chiklis. Advance reviews have not been kind. Not previewed.
- Hysteria. Maggie Gyllenhaal stars in a romantic comedy about the invention of the electric vibrator in 19th Century England. Reviews have been generally favorable. Not previewed.
- The Intouchables. A cross-generational friendship blossoms between a street-wise caretaker and a wealthy disabled aristrocrat. Buoyantly funny. My review. [B-]
- Moonrise Kingdom. A boy and a girl, aged 12, fall in love and run away together on a small island off the coast of New England in 1965; directed by Wes Anderon. My review. [A]
Continuing in limited engagements:
- Angelika Dallas: Headhunters. My comments. [B]. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.
- Angelika Dallas: Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.
- Landmark Magnolia: Bernie; The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel; First Position.
- Texas Theatre: God Bless America. My review at Twitch. [A-]
Opening in wide release:
- Snow White and the Huntsman. Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, and Charlize Theron star in a new, dark version of the venerable fairy tale. Very stylish, very routine. My review at Twitch. [C]
- For Greater Glory. Andy Garcia Eva Longoria, Oscar Isaac, and Peter O’Toole star in a historical drama based on the real-life events of the 1920s Cristero War. Not previewed.
Other recent wide releases: