Opening in Dallas today, Friday, June 24, 2011 (listed in order of priority):
- ‘Buck.’ Real-life horse whisperer Buck Brannaman trains humans more than he does animals in this gentle, yet eye-opening, documentary by Cindy Meehl. (Angelika Dallas.) My review at Twitch. Recommended.
- ‘Just Like Us.’ Egyptian comic Ahmed Ahmed leads an international troupe of stand-up comedians on a Middle East tour to explore stereotypes and try to make people laugh. (Angelika Dallas.) My review at Red Carpet Crash. Recommended.
- ‘Conan O’Brien Can’t Stop.’ The late-night talk show host goes on the road after quitting NBC. Advance word on this documentary has been quite positive. (Landmark Magnolia.) Not previewed.
Wide across the Metroplex (listed alphabetically):
- ‘Bad Teacher.’ Cameron Diaz as a disreputable gold-digger who is somehow entrusted with the education of your children. With Lucy Punch, Justin Timberlake, and Jason Segel. My review at Twitch. Recommended.
- ‘Cars 2.’ Automobiles travel to Japan in search of more fame and glory in the latest sequel from Pixar. Advance reviews have been mixed. Not previewed.
My weekly columns, plus other feature articles on film (in reverse chronological order):
- Hollywood Grind: From ‘Zero’ to ‘Teacher’ in 13 Short Years. (Twitch.) The career of director Jake Kasdan is considered.
- Indie Insights: The ‘Electric Car’ Strikes Back, ‘Buck’ and the Newspaper, Mexicans vs. Conan O’Brien, Sexy French Trailer. (Movies.com.) Covering new distribution deals, indie box office returns, and the trailer of the week.
- Asian Film Monthly: Newest From ‘Big Man Japan’ Star, Future ‘Sex and Zen’? (Movies.com.) New monthly column, focusing on new theatrical releases in Asia and films now playing in the U.S.
- Blu-ray World Weekly: ‘Kiss Me Deadly,’ ‘Choy Lee Fat,’ and More. (Twitch.) Definitely a slow week.
Leave a Reply